We are facing one of the most difficult years we have ever faced in the Nebraska Legislature. Four expanded gambling bills have been introduced, all of which are very dangerous and will hurt Nebraska families and our local economies. We desperately need your help.
A few greedy gambling leaders and lobbyists want to grease their own pockets with the hard earned money of our fellow Nebraskans. At a time when we should be helping each other through our economic uncertainty, these people are trying to take advantage of us for their own personal benefit. Their actions will bring devastation and destruction to our families through embezzlements, lost paychecks, divorces and suicides.
After 15 years of fending off these vultures, they have circled back to attack their targets – our families. What part of "NO" don't they understand? We need to tell them once again that, "Enough is enough. Nebraska is the "Good Life State" not the "Gambling State."
Here is what we are facing this year:
• LR 277 CA will allow "Off Track Betting." Currently this is allowed at the 5 race tracks but this bill could expand it to hundreds of locations all over the state. Virtually anyone the “Racing Commission” decides could have the machines – which would soon open the door for slots. Though our expert testimony outshined the opponents, this bill was voted out of committee 5 minutes after the completion of testimony. They are obviously being influenced by high paid lobbyists and the gambling interests.
• LB 1023 is the same bill the voters defeated by 61% in 2006. This will allow all of the hundreds of Keno locations to convert to Keno slot machines, which would put them one step away from becoming full fledge mini-casinos all across the state.
• LR 296 CA will allow Poker Palaces all over Nebraska. These have caused heartache and hurt everywhere they have been allowed.
• LB 1102 will allow “Historic Horse Racing” machines at race tracks. These are virtually slot machines with no limit to the number of machines per location.
If any one of these bills is passed, the door will be open to unregulated and non-taxable Indian casinos since the tribes are automatically permitted by law to have any gambling that is legal in a state. This would be a nightmare!!
On the bright side, Sen. Tony Fulton introduced LB 765 which would put an end to the illegal "Bank Slot" machines that are up and running right now all over Nebraska. Attorney General Jon Bruning has ruled "Bank Shots" to be illegal slot machines but this is being challenged in court so they are still operating. In addition, our education and advocacy has stopped other hazardous bills from being introduced.
Will the greedy gambling interests ever go away and leave Nebraska alone? I doubt it. But, rest assured, we will never give up either. They are in it for the money; we are fighting for our families and our honest, hard-working way of life. We need you to stand with us today.
We urge you to so the following:
• Pray - for wisdom for our leaders and voters and for the families who have already been devastated by gambling addiction.
• Write or Call – the State Senator to share your concerns about the four gambling bills and to support LB 765.
• Give – to “Gambling with the Good Life” so we can educate government and business leaders, families, media and religious organizations to these new attacks on our families.
We ask you to please donate, send us a word of encouragement, and a tax deductible gift of $50, $100, $500, $1,000, or whatever the amount of your concern and means. We survive on a shoestring...but we do need money to buy the shoestrings! Your gift will make a difference in the lives of future generations of Nebraskans.
All the information you need to call, write, email and do whatever you can to influence our Senators is listed here on this Web site. Your communication will make a difference.
Since 1995, we have fought the battles, but we need your generous support to keep us going. In these 15 years, the lives of countless families, friends and neighbors have been spared from gambling destruction. Please act now to protect untold thousands from future damage.
Thank you for your help.
Gambling with the Good Life
Contact us today to see how you can get involved!
© 2010 Gambling with the Good Life — All Rights Reserved.